Friday, January 11, 2013

Tanners big night






I don't know what it is about having a child with special needs.  One minute you are wondering  if you are ever going to make it through the day and the next is an amazing experience that gives you a glimpse of a bigger picture.

Tanner is a very social child and is always wanting to hang out at Maddi's house or go over to Bommers.  So I try very hard to keep him busy with sports special needs YM our ward YM and scouts.  Its Tanners Sr. year at Alta and with it comes Sr. banquets and lots of sadness for Tanner at times. He thinks he is going to the U to play football with Harrison Handley, its so hard to tell him this is it.

At the Sr Banquet Harrison won an award  "The Impact Player of 2012"  Your not a kidding!  He is a super star, all the little leaguers look up to him, he's kind, he's put together, and he's smart!  This darling boy who seems to have it all has one more thing, the most important thing i think a person should possess a kind heart.  He took Tanner under his wing in football, made him feel special like one of the boys.  He treated him like any other player and for this I will be forever grateful.

But to show you the real character of this boy you have to know this.  After he won his big award this big cool trophy that he can show his kids.... He quietly said thank you, walked down from the front and walked up to tanner and said this trophy is for you buddy and gave him a hug and a high five.  Not many people saw that not many people knew what he had done.  Tanner couldn't put the trophy down he kept kissing it saying "me and Harrison" (he even slept with it).
                                                                   (Cole Meyers)
We went over to Harrison after the banquet and said there is no way we can take this!! He said Tanner is one of his best friends and he was honored to give it to him.  I cried all the way home, I was so filled with gratitude for loving football players.  It was a highlight in my life as well.

                                                                      (Chipper)
When Tanner was born I was told I will have my highest highs and my lowest lows.  Well we have had our share of Lows, but this was a high  The highest of highs, the epitome of love and respect and friendship I never thought Tanner would ever have from someone outside our family.  I'm so grateful for these Alta football players, Chipper, Cole, Carson, Alex  there are too many to count and so many I don't even know who befriend Tanner.  To you there are no word of gratitude my heart is too full of love for you. Thank you for being who you are and loving Tanner, you will forever be etched in my heart!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great story! Such a sweet boy. I can't believe it's been so long since the first time I held him - he was the cuddliest little guy ever.

Brandon said...

Makes me proud to have Harrison as a member of the Utah Football Family!

Go Utes and Go Tanner!